HEALTH

Tomatoes: The “Fruit” That Will Boost Your Immune System!

The tomato – Latin name: Solanum lycopersicum, actually, it is a fruit from the nightshade
family, indigenous of the regions of South America.
Even that botanically being a fruit – in people daily diet it is mostly eaten and prepared like a
vegetable, in different salads.
In case you were wondering why, and you want to know more – the tomato is a technically a fruit
only because it is actually a seed-bearing, and grows and develops from the ovary of a typical
flowering plant.
For example, to make a difference – botanically – vegetables are made of other plant parts, like
roots, leaves, or stems.
But, if we speak about nutrition compounds – tomatoes, together with the seedy cucumbers and
zucchini, are always categorized as vegetables.
That is mostly because of their lower carb and sugar contents.
Only as example – a small or medium tomato will provides you only 22 calories, and around 5
grams of total carb – with 3 as sugar and 1.5 as fiber.
But, this low calorie fruit, low carb part of your daily salad is completely full with different
nutrients, and can offer you a variety of health benefits.

Tomatoes represent the biggest dietary source of the antioxidant called – lycopene. This
antioxidant has been connected with different health benefits, including decreased risk of heart
disease and cancer.
Tomatoes are also a fantastic source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K.
They are usually red, when are mature. But, tomatoes can also be found in a many variety of
colors and shapes – including yellow, orange, green, and purple.
Of course – many subspecies of tomatoes are with different shapes and flavor.
This article will help you to learn everything you need to know about tomatoes.

Nutrition Compounds of Tomatoes

Tomatoes contained around 95% of water. The other 5% – are mainly carbohydrates and fiber.

These are the nutrients in one small (around – 100-grams) raw tomato:

-Calories: 18
-Water: 95%
-Protein: 0.9 grams
-Carbs: 3.9 grams
-Sugar: 2.6 grams
-Fiber: 1.2 grams
-Fat: 0.2 grams

Minerals and Vitamins in Tomatoes

Tomatoes represent a perfect source of different vitamins and minerals:
-Vitamin C: This vitamin is an essential and extremely important nutrient and antioxidant. One
medium size tomato can provide to our body around 28% of the Recommended Daily Intake
(RDI).
-Potassium: An absolutely necessary and essential mineral for your health.
Potassium can help for blood pressure control, and heart disease prevention.
-Vitamin K1: It is also known as phylloquinone. The vitamin K is very important for blood
clotting and for bones health.
-Folate (or vitamin B9): As part of the group of B vitamins, folate is extremely important for
normal tissue growth and cell function. B9 – as vitamin it is especially important for pregnant
women.

Tomatoes are also very rich in Lycopene and Beta Carotene.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: